Galt Terriers 1930

1930 Senior Intercounty and Ontario Baseball Champions

The 1930 Galt Terriers were the dominant baseball team in Ontario in the late 1920s and early 1930s. This team featured an all-star lineup, including Gord Bradshaw, middle, bottom. The catcher set an all-time Intercounty batting average of .698.


The 1930 Galt Terriers were destined for great things as they readied for their season-opener in April of 1930.

Clayton “Dodo” Hoffman, active in local sporting circles since coming to Galt with his brother Clare, was named manager and coach, and the announcement was met with anticipation by both fans and players alike.

Hoffman was a talented individual, with a pleasing dispo- sition. The players liked him at the helm because he was so knowledgeable about the game.

Most of the players were returning from the previous season, with the exception of Wally Grove, who had retired. Friendy Graham, a local legend, had agreed to play another season, and a new player, Irving Woods, from Brantford, would be joining two other Brantford standouts who had arrived the year before — catcher Gord Bradshaw and pitcher Stan “Beaner” Pickering.

Bradshaw was a mainstay despite having only one season with the Terriers behind him. Indeed, many believed he should turn pro, either with the International League or the Ontario Professional Baseball League. If he did, it was expected that his batterymate, Beaner Pickering, would follow.

But Bradshaw had no intention of leaving the Terriers, at least for the time being.

In their first game, on Saturday, May 3, 1930, following the opening day parade by the Guelph band, the Terriers beat the hometown Guelph Maple Leafs 4-1 behind the Bradshaw and Pickering combination.

On Saturday, May 10, at 3:15 p.m., the Galt Kiltie Band, which had led a parade from market square to the ball park, stopped playing to give way for umpire Oscar Hett and his stentorian voice, which called out: “Play Ball!”

Despite the pageantry of opening day, the Galts dropped an 8-6 decision to the Hamilton Oskies before a large crowd at Dickson Park. Wilbur Kress took the loss for the Terriers. But more significantly, this was the first game ever broadcast at Dickson Park.

Herbie Hobson was the game announcer, though it was veteran radio announcer Nairn Mogridy, who called the game on radio station CKPC. Patients at the Freeport Sanitarium, and other shut-ins, appreciated the broadcast, even if they didn’t like the outcome.

By June, the Terriers were leading the league and four players – Bradshaw, Hoffman, Kress and Brown – were batting over .300. Two others were close.

The Terriers went on to win the league championship that summer, and followed it up with the Ontario Baseball Association championship early that autumn.