1906 – 1980
Bill McVittie was a longtime teacher (1930- 1968) at Galt Collegiate Institute, but it was as a volunteer within the Hespeler community that he is best remembered.
McVittie joined the Hespeler Library Board in 1938, a post he held until 1950, eventually moving up to chairman from 1945-1950.
At that point, McVittie entered local politics, running for, and winning, the mayorship of the small community on the Speed River.
A member of the Masonic Lodge for more than 50 years, he served as president and later chairman of the South Waterloo Memorial Hospital, forerunner of today’s Cambridge Memorial Hospital.
There were also stints as a fund-raiser for St. Luke’s United Church and Manse, New Hope Cemetery Chapel, and the Preston-Hespeler Masonic Temple, but McVittie is best known for the role he played in championing the construction of the Hespeler Memorial Arena.
The arena was constructed in 1948-49 and for the better part of the next five decades, was the social and athletic hub of the community. The arena was home base for several generations of aspiring hockey players.
McVittie served as chairman of the Hespeler Arena Building Committee.